Dawson County Probate Court
Jennifer Burt, Judge
Dawson County Courthouse
25 Justice Way, Suite 4332
Dawsonville, GA 30534
(706) 344-3580 phone
(706) 265-6155 fax
Monday through Friday 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Probate Court is a court of limited jurisdiction responsible for the probate and administration of estates for Dawson County residents.
Probate Court also handles:
- Misdemeanor traffic citations
- Game and fish violations
- Marriage licenses
- Firearms licenses
- Guardianships of minors and incapacitated adults
- Numerous miscellaneous duties
It is a court of record; therefore, all documents filed in Probate Court must be recorded in minute books and kept permanently available to the public.
The Probate Court is committed to providing you with excellent customer service. We will be happy to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have about the services of this office or the procedures you must follow for a particular process. Please be advised, however, that state law prohibits our staff from rendering legal advice, restating the law or recommending specific ways to pursue legal action. If you have a problem involving the interpretation of the law, we suggest you contact an attorney licensed to practice in the State of Georgia.
The Probate Court of Dawson County issues marriage licenses and maintains those records. We also issue certified and plain copies of marriage licenses and applications for all marriages that were applied for in Dawson County.
Obtaining a marriage license:
- Applicants must both appear in person to complete the application for a marriage license.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older. (Certain circumstances permit underage applicants to obtain a marriage license. Call the Dawson County Probate Court for additional information.)
- A picture identification card is required for both applicants.
- A divorce decree or death certificate from the former spouse is required from any applicant that has had a prior marriage.
- At least one applicant has to be a resident of Georgia in order to apply for a marriage license in a county other than the county where the ceremony is to take place. If both applicants are nonresidents of Georgia, then the application must be made in the county where the marriage ceremony will take place.
- Effective May 13, 2010 the fee for a marriage license is:
- $36.00 (including 2 certified copies) for couples with a certificate of pre-marriage counseling.*
- $76.00 (including 2 certified copies) for couples without a certificate of pre-marriage counseling.*
- Fees are payable by cash, Mastercard, Visa.
- Certified copies are an additional $10.00 per copy. (Two certified copies are required to register a legal name change.)
- After the ceremony, the license is to be returned to the issuing probate court, which will then record the license in the marriage docket. Certified copies of the license may then be issued by the court.
*Note: Pre-marital counseling must include at least six hours of instruction involving marital issues, which may include but not be limited to: (a) conflict management, (b) communication skills, (c) financial responsibilities, (d) child and parenting responsibilities; and (e) extended family roles. The program must have been completed within twelve months prior to the application, and the couple must have undergone the premarital education together. To qualify, the premarital education must have been performed by: (a) a professional counselor, social worker, or marriage and family therapist; (b) a psychiatrist; (c) a psychologist; or (d) an active member of the clergy when in the course of his or her service as clergy, or the designee of such active member of the clergy, provided the designee is skilled and trained in premarital education.
Weapons Carry Licenses
The Probate Court of Dawson County issues Weapons Carry Licenses to all qualified persons who are residents of Dawson County, Georgia.
Requirements for Weapons Carry Licenses:
- Must be 21 years of age (or at least 18 years of age and provide proof that you have completed basic training in the armed forces of the United States, and provide proof that you are actively serving in the armed forces of the United States or have been honorably discharged from such service.)
- Must be a resident of Dawson County, Georgia and provide proof of Dawson County, Georgia residency
- Must submit a picture identification including current physical address
- Must submit to a criminal background check before any license is issued, and there must be no state or federal prohibitors on those records. If you have questions regarding the various prohibitors for Weapons Carry Licenses, you may discuss the issues in person with Probate Court personnel.
- $71.00 payable by cash, Mastercard or Visa to the Probate Court at the time of application. This fee is non-refundable.
- Renewals (within 90 days of expiration date on present Weapons Carry Licenses or less than 30 days after the expiration date on present Weapons Carry Licenses) are $30.00 payable at time of application. This fee is non-refundable.
- $71.00 cash, Mastercard or Visa only to be paid at the time of application and $5.00 cash which must be presented to the Detention Center at the time the applicant appears for fingerprinting.
- The license, when approved, is valid for five years.
For additional information relating to the application for a Weapons Carry License, please contact the Dawson County Probate Court.
Standard forms available to download in .WPD or .PDF formats. Includes useful web pages such as instructions for the forms, information on the duties of personal representatives, a handbook for guardians, heir determination worksheets, etc.